November 27, 2012 by Eating Clean Family
Today we wanted to share an easy clean recipe with you for flank steak. There are a few things you need to know about this choice of beef cut. First it is a budget-friendly choice compared to New York Strip and Filet Mignon. The flank is located behind the rib cage, beneath the loin, and in front of the rear legs. It’s a single, boneless, thin piece of muscle that usually weighs between 1 and 2 pounds. Flank steak usually costs about half the price of strip steak or rib eye. It has more connective tissue, which gives it a great flavor, but also makes it less tender than other steaks. This is why it is absolutely imperative to always cut flank steak across the grain into thin slices for serving.
This recipe is quite simple but still has a good flavor.
-Favorite coffee bean
-Ms. Dash salt-free seasoning of your choice (lots of different flavors to choose from)
– 1 pound flank steak
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. Finely grind 1/2 cup of your favorite coffee beans in grinder.
2. Liberally sprinkle the flank steak on both sides in your choice of Ms. Dash seasoning, we used the chipotle.
3. Rub on the coffee grinds to both sides of steak
4. In a pan, sear both sides of the steak on a high heat setting. Enough to brown the outside only.
5. Wrap the steak in commercial grade plastic wrap (must be commercial grade or you can use aluminum foil) several times around. This makes a tightly sealed bag for the steak to cook in its own juices.
6. Place the wrapped steak in a baking pan and into the oven for about 30-40 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and let sit for 5-10 minutes. You will see the juices bubbling and boiling in the bag (yummy)
8. Carefully remove the wrap over a pan so you can save the juices.
9. Cut into thin slices across the grain (very important to reduce the chewiness)
If you try the recipe, please let us know how it works out.